“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”Osho
After birth all mums need a bit of care. In many cultures, ancient and modern the mother is given laying in time to recover from childbirth and learn about herself and her new baby..
A post partum doula is an emotional and physical support to a new mother. Her role is many faceted – it could be just being a trusted person to leave the baby with whilst mum catches up on sleep or has a shower. It could be cooking some dinners so the pressure is off in the evening. It could be having a cup of coffee and a listen whilst you pour out your feelings. It could be helping with breastfeeding and routine. It is any of those and more.
Here are some of the ways I can help you
- Baby feeding support
- Help with the emotional and physical recovery after birth
- Birth debrief
- Self care
- Infant care
- Help with the house
- Light meal preparation
- Sibling care
- Contacts to local services that may be of interest – breastfeeding cafes, mum groups, IBCLC’s
Couldn’t I just get a nanny?
Well you could but their job is to take care of the baby – my job is to take care of you, to provide support for you and your husband. In this little expat world we live in here in Bahrain it can be very hard to have that circle of trust, that group that you can be 100% honest with. That is the main thing I provide – a safe space for you to talk about any worries, concerns that you have, any difficulties, any triumphs!
So what do you get?
- An initial consultation with you and your husband.
- A consultation before birth to check that you are prepared with a birth plan. Help you with any questions that you may have regarding the birth and also prepare you for feeding the baby.
- Or if you have had the baby and realise you need a hand then I can come then.
- A visit to you after the baby has been born to see that you are both ok and help with any questions that you may have with feeding, care of you and the baby or your labour.
- Six visits post partum and what we do may will really be decided by you – so I may just look after the baby whilst you sleep or shower, make you a sandwich or dinner, just hold your space whilst you off load over any worries that you have, we can meet in the mall so you can do that first car trip on your own and arrive to friendly face – it is all about you. In time when life will all be about your baby, a post partum doula will have mums back, will take give you pillar to lean on whilst you find your way.
Post partum doula packages are available on a hour by hour rate of BD20 or a package for the first six weeks of BD120