Originally from the Greek word for a female slave the meaning has changed over time but we do still serve women. We are not medically trained but we do provide emotional support during labour, childbirth and the period after the baby has been born (post partum).
Our aim is to ensure that your childs birth is nurtured, confident and empowered. Our job is to keep you calm. To support you and your partner as you grow your family. To help keep a safe and tranquil space for you to deliver your child. To ensure you are informed about the procedures that are happening and that they are happening with your consent. Whilst your medical caregiver focuses on you and your baby, our job, as a doula, is to focus on giving you emotional, physical, nurturing and spiritual support. Our role is to be by your side no matter what sort of birth you are intending to have.
The journey towards birth can be one full of excitement, joy and anticipation as well as nerves, fear and anxiety. A birth doula can help by listening, by educating, by supporting and providing a calm space for you.
So what do you get?
- An initial consultation with you and your husband to check that we can all work together.
- A further consultation before the birth (preferably before 38 weeks) so we can go through your birth plan, I can answer any questions that you may have and hopefully deal with any little worries that you may be feeling. I will also be available to you via phone and text before birth to give you support.
- I am on call for you for the two weeks before the birth – this is just to make sure that I am not travelling and I can manage any other commitments that I may have.
- I will be your support person through your birth so I can meet you at home or the hospital and I will be there to aid you and your husband.
- I will then stay once the baby has been delivered to help you feed and check that you are ok.
- There will be a post partum visit, at home to check you are all ok.
A doula is an option for any birth – so if you are having a caesarean section then I am more than happy to assist you. I also have packages that are for birth only if you decide you just need an extra hand to hold on the day.
Please contact me for further details and pricing.